Concrete Polishing Guide
What is Polished Concrete?
Concrete polishing is a process that transforms rough and dull cement surfaces into attractive, long lasting floors. We use the most productive and efficient, high torque grinding machines to grind and polish cement surfaces. Our system starts with a series of coarse diamond blades removing the top layer followed by medium to fine levels producing the ultimate in durable flooring. The machine is also equipped with a dustless vacuum system, so as the floor is polished, the dust is contained. This is a clean, eco-friendly system that keeps hazardous dust out of the air and delivers a beautiful, easy to maintain floor.
What Concrete Surfaces Can Be Polished?
If the cement surface is in good condition it can be polished and colored with dyes and stains. If the surface is uneven or in bad shape, self-leveling concrete can be applied to make a new surface. Various stains, dyes, or colored glass can be added directly to the self-leveling concrete to create a wide range of designs and patterns.
Is Polished Concrete Better Than Other Flooring?
Polished concrete has several advantages over tile, carpet, wood, or linoleum floors.
- Non-slip Surface – Our concrete treatments has a coefficient of friction which exceeds OSHA’s recommended guidelines.
- Improves Interior Lighting – The polished concrete surface reflects light and enhances ambient lighting.
- Long Lasting – A strong non-porous surface is created as the polishing increases the density of the top layer of the concrete. This in turn protects the surface from water, grease, oil, chemicals and heat.
- Low Maintenance – There are no cracks or crevices for dirt and bacteria to hide under, so the floor is quick and easy to clean. No need for special or expensive cleaners.
- Environmentally Friendly – Polished concrete uses the existing surface so wood, petroleum, and cotton are conserved. It is LEED choice. (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
- No VOC (Volatile Organic Compound).
- Immediate Use – You don’t need to wait for the surface to dry. Polished concrete can be walked on right away.
Are There Many Colors or Designs To Choose From?
Polished concrete floors come in a wide range of colors and styles. Abrasive grinding exposes the aggregate and can produce a terrazzo-like floor. Dyes and stains are available in a wide variety of shades including earth tones, blacks, greys, and primary colors. The shine can range from matte to high gloss. Simple and intricate patterns can be created with saw cuts, custom engraving and graphics.